What is MAXIDEX * eye drops and what is it used for
MAXIDEX Eye Drops is a representative of a group of medicines called corticosteroids. It helps prevent or reduce eye inflammation.
MAXIDEX eye drops is used to treat non-infectious external inflammatory and allergic conditions of the eye, including postoperative inflammation.
How to use MAXIDEX eye drops
Always use this medicine exactly as your doctor or pharmacist has told you. If you are not sure, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Use MAXIDEX eye drop drops for your eyes only.
If after removing the cap, the protective ring is loose, remove it before using the product.
The recommended dose for chronic inflammation is one or two drops in the affected eye (s) every three to six hours.
In case of severe or acute inflammation, your doctor may initially increase the dosage to one or two drops in the affected eye (s) every 30 to 60 minutes, until improvement occurs. Thereafter, the frequency of administration is gradually reduced until discontinued.
For allergies or mild inflammation, the usual dose is one or two drops to the affected eye (s) every three to four hours.
The duration of treatment is at the discretion of your doctor.
The safety and efficacy of MAXIDEX eye drops have not been studied in children, so its use is not recommended in this group of patients.
3. How to use MAXIDEX * eye drops
1. Take the bottle of MAXIDEX eye drops and a mirror.
2. Wash your hands.
3. Shake the bottle well.
4. Unscrew the cap.
5. Hold the bottle pointing down between your thumb and middle finger (Figure 1).
6. Tilt your head back. Open the eyelid with the finger already cleaned so that a ‘pocket’ is formed between it and the eye. The drop should fall exactly at this point (Figure 2).
7. Bring the dropper applicator close to the eye. Use the mirror if this makes it easier for you.
8. Do not touch the eye, eyelid, surrounding area, or other surfaces with the tip of the dropper applicator. There is a risk of contamination of the droplets.
9. Carefully press the base of the upside-down bottle with the index finger to release a drop of MAXIDEX (Figure 3).
10. After applying the MAXIDEX eye drops, release the lower eyelid, close the eye and gently press the eye into the corner of the nose (figure 4). This will prevent MAXIDEX eye drops from moving to other parts of the body.
11. If you need to use the drops in both eyes, repeat the steps for the other eye.
12. Put the cap on and close the bottle well after use.
13. Use only one bottle.
If the drop does not get in the eye, try again.
If you have used more MAXIDEX eye drops, rinse the entire amount with lukewarm water. Do not place any more eye drops until it is time for your next usual dose.
If you forget to use MAXIDEX eye drops, continue with the next dose as planned. However, if it is time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your usual dosing regimen. Do not use a double dose to make up for a forgotten dose.
If you are using other eye medicines (drops or ointment), wait at least 5 minutes between each eye. If you also use eye ointment, it should be last applied.
If you have any further questions on the use of this medicine, ask your doctor or pharmacist.